What does it mean, to be both human and monster? DIFFERENT BEASTS considers this question with thirteen stories about the beasts we carry with us, invoke in others and fend off in the night.
Coming September 17, 2019 from Goose Lane Editions
J.R. McConvey is a writer and producer working in Toronto, Ontario.
His stories have been shortlisted for the Journey Prize, the Bristol Short Story Prize, and the Matrix Lit Pop award, and appeared in the Malahat Review, Joyland, EVENT, the Puritan, the New Quarterly and other publications. He won the 2016 Jack Hodgins Founders’ Award for Fiction.
As a producer, McConvey explores emerging forms like interactive documentary and virtual and augmented reality. His productions include The National Parks Project, Northwords, Mission Asteroid, and the CSA-nominated 360 film project, SESQUI.
- 2016 Journey Prize shortlist, “How the Grizzly Came to Hang in the Royal Oak Hotel
- 2015 Bristol Short Story Prize, Second Place, “Between the Pickles”
- 2014 CSA Nomination, Best Science/Nature Documentary, “Mission Asteroid”
- 2011 Genie Award, Best Short Documentary, “Sirmilik”
- 2011 Gemini Award, Best Arts or Performing Arts Documentary Series, The National Parks Project
- 2015 TAC Leaders Lab Fellow
“I see dreamed landscapes as plainly as real ones.” — Fernando Pessoa