What does it mean, to be both human and monster? DIFFERENT BEASTS considers this question with twelve stories about the beasts we carry with us, invoke in others and fend off in the night.
“This is a brilliant collection.” – Alissa York, author of The Naturalist
Available now, in stores and online.
Goose Lane Editions
Watch the trailer:
J.R. McConvey is a writer and producer working in Toronto, Ontario. His stories have been shortlisted for the Journey Prize, the Bristol Short Story Prize, and the Matrix Lit Pop award, and appeared in the Malahat Review, Joyland, EVENT, The Puritan, The New Quarterly and other publications. He won the 2016 Jack Hodgins Founders’ Award for Fiction. DIFFERENT BEASTS is his first book.
As a producer, McConvey explores emerging forms like interactive documentary and virtual and augmented reality. His productions include The National Parks Project, Northwords, Mission Asteroid, and the CSA-nominated 360 film project, SESQUI.
- 2016 Journey Prize shortlist, “How the Grizzly Came to Hang in the Royal Oak Hotel
- 2015 Bristol Short Story Prize, Second Place, “Between the Pickles”
- 2014 CSA Nomination, Best Science/Nature Documentary, “Mission Asteroid”
- 2011 Genie Award, Best Short Documentary, “Sirmilik”
- 2011 Gemini Award, Best Arts or Performing Arts Documentary Series, The National Parks Project
“I see dreamed landscapes as plainly as real ones.” — Fernando Pessoa